Everyone has gone bloomin Avocado mad and I fear that these lovable chums will be forgotten when the next new fad comes in. However they will long be loved and treasured in Sri Lanka, where they are grown (in giant sizes!) and ripened in the sun and enjoyed in so many amazing ways!
This avocado sambol is something I enjoy a few times a week as it is the perfect snack to keep my rumbling tummy happy between those awkward hours between meals - and of course it is super simple to make.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 handful of fresh finely chopped coriander
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 shallot or 1/4 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh lime
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- Using a pestle and mortar, mash together the onion, garlic and green chilli.
- Add in the tomato and crush it into the paste using the pestle.
- Using a fork, smash in the avocado and then add in the lime juice to create a paste (rough/smooth as you like!).
- Mix in the coriander and a generous pinch of sea salt.
Super easy to make and even easier to eat! Enjoy with poppadoms, tortilla chips, celery sticks and anything else you can find good reason to smother it over - om nom!