Gotu Kola Kanda
This is by far one of my favourite Sri Lankan breakfasts! It is absolutely brimming with goodness. 'Gotu kola' is a green herb renown for its health benefits both physically and mentally. Blended and cooked with red rice and coconut milk, it's hard to believe something so scrummy is also good for you. If hearing the word kale one more time also makes you want to click snooze, then buy a cheeky bunch of gotu kola to give you something to wake up for!
- 300g bunch of fresh Gotu Kola
- 1 cup of raw red rice
- 1L of cold water
- 3-4 heaped tablespoons of coconut powder
- salt to taste
- Boil the red rice with cold water and leave to cook
- Roughly chop the gotu kola (leaves and stalks), and blend with two cups of cold water
- Whilst the rice is cooking, continually crush and stir the rice using the back of a heavy ladle, you want to thicken the sauce and squish the rice so the grains soften
- Once the rice has cooked and you have a thick sauce, add in the coconut powder and stir in, stirring for another minute
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the blended gotu kola
- Cook for another minute and turn off the heat
- Add salt to taste
- Serve in a soup bowl and enjoy!