Gotu Kola Kanda
This is by far one of my favourite Sri Lankan breakfasts! The fresh raw ingredients that are scraped, chopped and mixed together with hands that are made to give love, really sums up the wholesome feeling Sri Lankan food gives me. My Ammie often wakes up early on a weekend morning to make Kola Kanda, the smells of coconut gently waking me up is one of my favourite things. In this photo we have used a traditional clay pot with it’s beautiful earthy colours, accented by the rich golds that remind me of Sri Lankan culture. One of the most nourishing breakfasts, and the most beautiful way to start the day 🙏🏾
This breakfast is absolutely brimming with goodness. 'Gotu kola' is a green herb renown for its health benefits both physically and mentally. Blended and cooked with red rice and coconut milk, it's hard to believe something so scrummy is also good for you. Gotu kola can be found in asian grocery shops - next time you pass one, buy a cheeky bunch to give you something to wake up for!
- 300g bunch of fresh Gotu Kola
- 1 cup of raw red rice
- 1L of cold water
- 3-4 heaped tablespoons of coconut powder
- salt to taste
- Boil the red rice with cold water and leave to cook
- Roughly chop the gotu kola (leaves and stalks), and blend with two cups of cold water
- Whilst the rice is cooking, continually crush and stir the rice using the back of a heavy ladle, you want to thicken the sauce and squish the rice so the grains soften
- Once the rice has cooked and you have a thick sauce, add in the coconut powder and stir in, stirring for another minute
- Turn the heat down to low and add in the blended gotu kola
- Cook for another minute and turn off the heat
- Add salt to taste
- Serve in a soup bowl and enjoy!